How can I start a floating TLB from existing TLB?
Started by t.s.lim

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

10 posts in this topic
t.s.lim

35 posts 12 threads Joined: May 2005
07-27-2005, 06:59 PM -
Hi,

I have a master TLB replacing WinXP's ordinary QuickLaunch bar,
is it possible to create a menu item such that click it will bring up another TLB (which contains totally diff thing from the master) in a floating manner?
t.s.lim
Dracula

407 posts 28 threads Joined: Dec 2002
07-28-2005, 03:53 AM -
A menu can contain anything that could be on the TLB toolbar itself. So you can put shortcuts, (sub)menu's, plugins and virtual folders inside a menu.

If you already have an existing TLB toolbar you want to show in a menu, you could copy this toolbar directory to the directory that represents this menu.

I don't understand exactly what you mean with 'floating manner'. For now, menu's are at a fixed location, but I believe that so-called 'tear-off' menu's are on the to-do list Smile
Windows 7, IE 9.0, Shell 6.0.6000.16386, TLB 4.2.3 beta
Doug Smith

218 posts 21 threads Joined: Jul 2001
07-28-2005, 06:21 AM -
Floating menus are easy.

see : <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.truelaunchbar.info/index.php?page=index_v2&id=109&c=4">http://www.truelaunchbar.info/index.php ... id=109&c=4</a><!-- m --> Big Grin
t.s.lim

07-28-2005, 06:55 AM -
Hi,

Ya, I know how to make a TLB float or tear-off

But what I intend to have is a Hidden floating TLB which I can click to make it appear (while keeping my the other TLB stay in the WinXp Taskbar)

Closing a floating TLB is as easy as clicking the right top [X] button, but making it appear is not.

A picture worth a thousand words, please see the attachment. I wish the "Entertinment" bar to be hidden until I manually bring it up by clicking at a button on the other TLB's menu. What I mean is something like it will maintain its shape and pos when it appear.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

t.s.lim
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
07-30-2005, 12:44 PM -
Sorry, this feature cannot be released.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
t.s.lim

09-15-2005, 12:45 PM -
Yuri Kobets Wrote:Sorry, this feature cannot be released.

Why? Isn't it useful?

Let me go back one step, could you please make it possible to switch to another bar by hitting a hotkey? Say I am now having A, hit a hotkey, I have that switched to B. Can this suggested feature be accepted?
t.s.lim
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
09-15-2005, 12:51 PM -
Using the "Tear Off Menu" feature of 3.2.9 you can implement floating toolbars. This is not a toolbars but you can setup menu with icons only and set "Tear off" - this is like a floating toolbar.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
t.s.lim

09-16-2005, 01:27 AM -
Yuri Kobets Wrote:Using the "Tear Off Menu" feature of 3.2.9 you can implement floating toolbars. This is not a toolbars but you can setup menu with icons only and set "Tear off" - this is like a floating toolbar.

I am using 3.2.9 now and I know about the Tear off thing.
I hope you can read and think about my probelm:

1) My initial request is an easy way to show/hide additional bar (while the master bar set stay in the Windows taskbar)
2) Alternatively, I am now requesting for an easy way to switch among bars. (Since your answer for 1) is NO)

Without either 1) or 2) or any other easy mechanism you can think of, user is forced to have all the bars appear on the Desktop all the time and this forfeits the purpose of creating multiple bars (instead of 1 single huge bar set). The only advantage I can imagine is, some one might enjoy having bars every where on the Desktop...

The below are steps to switch from bar to bar:
a) Move mouse pointer to a TLB
b) Right click to bring up the menu
c) Look for and move mouse pointer to "Switch toolbar" sub menu
d) Look for the a bar of interest on that sub menu and move mouse pointer there
e) Left click to select

I find c) and d) not easy tasks, am I back to ordinary Windows Start menu thing?

Couldn't the above be simplified into a single keystroke?
What about assigning a diff hotkey to each bar, hitting its hotkey will bring it in?

From user ponit of view:

I do not find it interesting to remember the TLB on the Windows taskbar is for general use, the TLB on the top edge of Desktop is for internet appl and the one on the left is for XXXX (i.e. remember by position)

Auto-hide bars has a limit, we have only 4 edges to hide. Right edge and top edge are not suitable to hide bars because too many time one can accidently bring them out when one actually does not intend to...

I don't mind a TLB float on the Desktop when I need to launch various programs or shortcuts from it. But I find it a block of view when I am done with it. Closing them is easy, but if you need it again... you will be like me.

All I am requesting is just an easy way to get a certain bar up or away... am I too much?
t.s.lim
Dracula

407 posts 28 threads Joined: Dec 2002
09-16-2005, 01:48 AM -
With the "Auto-sensing" feature you can switch between different toolbars depending on the active (or running) programs. Perhaps this switch could be linked to a hotkey and that would be even closer to your request.

On the other hand, I think sometimes people are too focused on a single solution, while there are countless similar solutions already available. Use your fantasy and play with the various features to see what comes closest to what you want. Really, TLB already is one of the most user-configurable programs I have ever seen...
Windows 7, IE 9.0, Shell 6.0.6000.16386, TLB 4.2.3 beta
t.s.lim

09-16-2005, 02:54 AM -
Dracula Wrote:With the "Auto-sensing" feature you can switch between different toolbars depending on the active (or running) programs. Perhaps this switch could be linked to a hotkey and that would be even closer to your request.

Auto-sensing is great idea, I think it helps for few of my bars, thanks for reminding me...

But it only works if there is a unique program for particular workspace. i.e. It is strictly program(s) driven and it requires at least one or more unique program per workspace.

There are 2 problems here:
1) I can't create workspaces based merely on human objective nature. What if I need a workspace with only common programs? (and I do)

2) It is hard to manage workspaces compare to just remembering which hotkey for what bar.
t.s.lim