Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

30 posts in this topic
sevbsn

35 posts 7 threads Joined: Jul 2012
08-28-2013, 03:14 AM -
Hi Yuri,
Hope all is well.

I am a long-time (registered ) user and would like to beg for this feature.
I have been looking for a 100% portable file launcher like TLB, but the closest I got was LaunchBarCommanderPortable. There is simply no alternative.

Is it possible to give us a 100% portable truelaunchbar? No installation. No registry keys (only .config or .ini, etc files inside of the directory.) I want to be able to take the TLB folder and drag it into another computer, run TLBhost and it works.

Basically, I want all of the settings inside of the TLB folder. I KNOW THIS IS NOT POSSIBLE FOR TLB TO BE INSIDE OF THE TASKBAR -- THAT'S NOT WHAT I AM ASKING!!!! I am asking for simply all settings for TLBHOST and plugins, etc to be inside of the TLB folder.

Basically, completely portable and USB key friendly.
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
08-28-2013, 04:23 AM -
I'm working on portable version. The latest beta version have a limited portable functionality. You can try how this works:

1. copy files tlb.dll, cairo.dll, FreeImage.dll and tlbhost.exe into any folder.
2. create empty file named "portable" in the folder with files.

Now you can run tlbhost.exe

But note, this feature is not tested much. So something will be wrong. Nothing danger, but the errors are possible. Also plugins are still require installation.
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
sevbsn

08-28-2013, 04:32 AM -
I downloaded latest beta, tried what you said

http://i40.tinypic.com/2z6f4gy.jpg

Nothing happened. It opened TLBhost same as my installed TLB host with same settings. Is something supposed to happen? portable has no extension and file size is still 0.

Yuri, thank you very much for considering this. In my opinion, this is the final "incredibly big" feature TLB needs. If you make portable, more people will post on "portable forums" and possibly more registrations for you =]
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

08-28-2013, 10:54 AM -
Quote:Nothing happened. It opened TLBhost same as my installed TLB host with same settings. Is something supposed to happen? portable has no extension and file size is still 0.
Yes there are no differences on your system. But this files can be moved on other computers and run without installation Wink

This is just a start. I'll continue working on this.
The TORDEX Team
Ennovy

1 posts 0 threads Joined: Nov 2013
11-30-2013, 09:53 AM -
(08-28-2013, 10:54 AM)Yuri Kobets Wrote:
Quote:Nothing happened. It opened TLBhost same as my installed TLB host with same settings. Is something supposed to happen? portable has no extension and file size is still 0.
Yes there are no differences on your system. But this files can be moved on other computers and run without installation Wink

This is just a start. I'll continue working on this.

As a registered user of TLB I am very happy with the fact that you are working on a portable version Wink

After testing portability I did not find traces of TLB in the registry (can you confirm this?), but I did find some files in the user profile folder, including the registration info.
Is it possible to have ALL files and ALL settings in one folder?
That would make the portable version really stealth Big Grin

Thanks for making TLB. I love it

11-30-2013, 02:37 PM -
Quote:Is it possible to have ALL files and ALL settings in one folder?
Yes, all files in one folder, when portable feature will be released Wink
The TORDEX Team
dragonetti

5 posts 4 threads Joined: Jul 2012
12-23-2013, 05:31 PM -
I just wanted to add my thumbs up for the portable edition.
This would really make my pc life easier.
I have to administer multiple pc's at home and I use portable apps (or portable versions) as much as possible because it is so easy in use.

I have 2 questions

1)
I followed the beneath instructions in the current 6.6 version
Quote:1. copy files tlb.dll, cairo.dll, FreeImage.dll and tlbhost.exe into any folder.
2. create empty file named "portable" in the folder with files.
  • Can the empty file be created like this:
    Create new EMPTY textfile and then remove the .txt extension?
  • Is it correct that the empty file must be placed in the same location as the:
    tlb.dll, cairo.dll, FreeImage.dll and tlbhost.exe

2)
Is there an indication when the fully portable will be released?
This post was last modified: 12-23-2013, 05:32 PM by dragonetti.
donnell

14 posts 7 threads Joined: Mar 2012
02-19-2014, 12:06 PM -
Another registered/paid user voting for portability !
(& I know Yuri is a dedicated developer & will get it just as soon as he possibly can)

TLB is such a wonderful app - I look forward to waking up every day
and just Enjoying! working on my machine w/ TLB (portable soon), , AHK (portable), StrokeIt (portable), & dOPus (portable) --

Computing Life Lived @ Speed of Thought Smile
This post was last modified: 02-19-2014, 12:08 PM by donnell.
sevbsn

06-09-2014, 12:52 AM -
Well, it's been about a year and I've been asking for 2 years for portability. Truelaunchbar has been THE center of my app launching, but I just can't justify a non-fully-portable app these days. It's too much of a headache to manage between 3 computers. I tried all of the suggestions
including dragging the files, portable file, and creating tlb.ini for registration (registered user here). Alas, it still saves settings and "portable" file does nothing.

I am looking for other solutions at this point and I am afraid to say after all this time, I think it is time to probably leave TrueLaunchBar. Yuri, you have done so much for us and I really appreciate continued development. Maybe I will reconsider once portable version exists, but by then I would have probably migrated to new program/system.

EDIT: Portable version still writes (settings) and data to /Roaming.
Also, it creates a folder in C:\Program Data.
Is it really difficult to focus ALL of truelaunchbar settings into a single .config or .ini file?
This post was last modified: 06-09-2014, 01:40 AM by sevbsn.
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

06-23-2014, 04:25 PM -
Quote:EDIT: Portable version still writes (settings) and data to /Roaming.
Also, it creates a folder in C:\Program Data.
Is it really difficult to focus ALL of truelaunchbar settings into a single .config or .ini file?
In the next version the portable mode will be released. No more folders in /Roaming or C:\Program Data. The settings will be in the same format like now but in the "local" folders (same path where tlb.dll is located). Also plugins can be used wthout installation (I have to update some plugins for using in portable mode).
The TORDEX Team
sevbsn

06-23-2014, 06:05 PM -
Wow, great Yuri! Thanks so much for the update. I know it's a somewhat unreasonable question, but is there a -very- rough estimate of when next version will be released?

Thanks again!
sevbsn

06-25-2014, 04:49 PM -
Yuri, if you can/remember please post here so I get an email trigger to prompt me to try the new version.

It is very nice that the plugins will be portable as well. I am really, really looking forward to an all-portable version of TLB/tlbhost
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

06-26-2014, 02:30 PM -
I plan to publish the new version in July. I'll post here.
The TORDEX Team
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

07-15-2014, 05:20 PM -
The version 6.6.5 beta is released with portable mode.

Please let me know how if you find any problem with the portable mode.
The TORDEX Team
cpriest

19 posts 7 threads Joined: Aug 2012
12-30-2014, 08:15 AM -
I have been on a portable kick lately and was pleased to find my favorite, can't live without software is already available portably. I did note that it did not come with much (any?) instructions, save for what's on the forum.

I just thought that I would post here, for those of you using the portable version, that you can get the toolbar (non standalone) item available by running "regsvr32 tbl.dll" from an administrative command prompt in the portable directory, then killing explorer and restarting it.

Yuri, do you expect that this will cause problems, IE cases where this will not work portably? I'd suggest you add a batch file to the portable download named Install_Toolbar.bat which registers for people, I would bet most people don't know about this.

Thanks Yuri!