Poll: The future of True Launch Bar - What is important to you?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I´m happy the way things are done
22.22%
4 22.22%
I´d like to see basic TLB features to be improved first
27.78%
5 27.78%
I´d like to see Plug-Ins for other purposes to be improved first
11.11%
2 11.11%
I want both (Yuri doing basic features and others the plug-ins)
38.89%
7 38.89%
Total 18 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

The future of True Launch Bar - What is important to you?
Started by Bender

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

10 posts in this topic
Bender

38 posts 8 threads Joined: Nov 2001
01-31-2003, 03:21 PM -
Hello all,

i´d really like to hear you opinion about the direction TLB development currently takes.

In my opinion it gets a little off track considering how it began. But that could be just my impression. Different people, different needs. Smile

How do i put this ... let me try: Wink

When i began using TLB it was plain and easy for the reason that it made my life easier in saving time to access stuff and get things sorted.

Lately with some upcoming plug-ins it tends to do (quite nice i must admit) stuff that leaves the basic direction of TLB.
Example: Weather monitor. In my impression it takes quit a lot of development ressources and although it might be nice it is not what i would consider a feature really neccessary.

Oh you might argue "Yeah thats why it is a plug-in - like it use it, don´t like it don´t use it , man!".
But that is not my point. If i look into the Suggestions Box i see many requests for improving basic TLB features which just make live with and handling of windows easier/faster/better.

As there is an SDK available to write plug-ins i would like to see Yuri concentrate on the basic features and leave those "fun" or "gimmick" plug-ins to other people.
(note: sorry "fun" and "gimmick" might not really be the word i like to use but i really lack the right word for this. In German i would say "Schnickschnack")

Well, this is all just my impression and my expectations. That´s why i really would like to see many votes and comments on this because i´m really interested how you guys think about this.

Oh - and here are some examples of basic feature requests (random picks):

- TLB "Auto hide" improvement.
- Run all delay
- A 'Send To' entry for TLB
- Right click menu

and some "gimmicks" stuff:

- Winamp Control + Seeking Bar
- Moon Phase Plug-In

Huh ... another one of my monster comments Big Grin
regards,
Bender
shapeshifter

658 posts 24 threads Joined: Sep 2002
01-31-2003, 04:26 PM -
Quote:Different people, different needs.

I think you've hit the proverbial nail on the head with that statement. Like you, I was first attracted to TLB because of it's core features: ease of use, flexibility, resource friendliness. However, I've stayed with TLB, and in fact stayed with the explorer shell in general, because of all the optional features available in the form of plugins (and because I have "direct" access to the developer Wink ).
"Shell tweakers", those people who are unhappy with their user interface and find ways to make it better - the kind of people that use TLB, are motivated to varying extents by three basic needs: simplicity, efficiency, and appearance. Those who tend toward simplicity prefer neat, organized, intuitive designs. Those motivated by efficiency strive to achieve the most functionality with the least impact on resources (RAM, screen real estate, CPU cycles, bandwidth etc). Those in the appearance camp simply want their computers to look cool. Usually a shell tweaker is fueled by two or even all three of these different needs, and so far I think Yuri has done a great job balancing them.
I think the best solution would be for Yuri to enlist some help, either paid or volunteer. As far as I know, he is the only one actively developing TLB and its plugins. This worked fine in TLB's early days, but it now seems the project has grown too big for just one programmer. Adding more programmers would increase the speed at which new features were implemented/fixed, which would in turn increase TLB's user base, and of course revenue. A little extra beef in the marketing department wouldn't hurt, either.

They say you've reached a good compromise when nobody's happy. I say you've reached a better compromise when nobody's unhappy.
Bender

02-02-2003, 10:12 AM -
Wow ... so many people have an opinion about what they like to see or not ... unbelieveable. :0
regards,
Bender
Yuri Kobets
Posting Freak

6,208 posts 429 threads Joined: Jan 2002
02-02-2003, 05:02 PM -
OK, it is my comment Wink

I consider that plugins is very important part of True Launch Bar. They extent the features of TLB. On the other hand creating of plugins takes away time from TLB itself Sad . I agree! But right now TLB is not distributed so much to attract other developers Sad Many users ask for new plugins and my duty is to make them Wink

Quote:I think the best solution would be for Yuri to enlist some help, either paid or volunteer.

You are right Big Grin this is really the best solution. The plugins TLB Clock and Virtual Desktops were created not by me. Also I looking for new full time workers. So I guess the updates will be releasing more often.

OK, now small announcement of new features in the next version of TLB:
1) Long waited multicolumn layout. Like in Start->Programs menu but... you can set the max number of columns and scroll menu if it is very large.
2) Appearance improvement: Overlay Images for menus. See the attached image. The picture of the computer is that overlay Wink
3) Some improvements in the right-click menu: shell's context menu can be hided into submenu (to make right-click menu not so large), changing the columns number from appearance submenu.

and some others bug fixes and minor changes Wink
The TORDEX Team
http://www.tordex.com
katoaristera

73 posts 19 threads Joined: Nov 2002
02-04-2003, 12:02 AM -
stability, Stability, STABILITY FIRST !!!!

Yuri don't forget this

Thanks
PsychoMark

122 posts 9 threads Joined: Jan 2003
02-25-2003, 03:31 AM -
Just a FYI post:

Quote:But right now TLB is not distributed so much to attract other developers Sad Many users ask for new plugins and my duty is to make them Wink

Unfortunately, my knowledge of C++ isn't good enough to write plugins, however, reading is a lot easier. I've been working on translating the type library and code to Delphi, and so far there are no real problems... basically, I only need to figure out the plugin registration code and compile the first simple test (and ofcourse hope it doesn't crash Smile). I don't know when or if I will get it up and running, but if I do I'll try to release some sort of demo...

...don't know if that will be of help to others, but at least it will allow me to create the plugins I've always wanted (although I don't know yet what those are Big Grin)...
Bender

03-29-2003, 12:49 PM -
Wow ... 299 views but only 4 comments and not even more than 12 votes. (on a topic like this that is ...)

crazy world ... ???
regards,
Bender
katoaristera

73 posts 19 threads Joined: Nov 2002
04-13-2003, 11:57 PM -
Bender Wrote:Wow ... 299 views but only 4 comments and not even more than 12 votes. (on a topic like this that is ...)

crazy world ... ???

Yes, it's strange...

Quote:I´m happy the way things are done: 4 [23.53%]
I´d like to see basic TLB features to be improved first: 5 [29.41%]
I´d like to see Plug-Ins for other purposes to be improved first: 2 [11.76%]
I want both (Yuri doing basic features and others the plug-ins): 6 [35.29%]

And also is strange that the less requested item (creation of new plugins) is actually the most developed one !!!
Bender

04-26-2003, 11:32 AM -
katoaristera Wrote:And also is strange that the less requested item (creation of new plugins) is actually the most developed one !!!
That doesn´t make me curious in regard to this poll.
If even 20% of the people who read it would have answered we would have had something slightly representative. By these numbers i´d say it´s worthless.

I´m pretty sure i could name more than 50% of the users that took the poll anyway. Smile
regards,
Bender
mark76uk

111 posts 17 threads Joined: Feb 2003
04-28-2003, 09:39 AM -
Quote:Survey option 4 I want both (Yuri doing basic features and others the plug-ins)

Are there 'others' making plugins? I never saw a credit for anyone making a plugin.

Quote:And also is strange that the less requested item (creation of new plugins) is actually the most developed one !!!

Not one, but three of the survey options include the making of plugins. As you say, many plugins are developed currently...

Quote:Survey option 1 I'm happy with the way things are done.